Skip to main content

Brexit Boat Repair and Servicing - People

Home Office guide to the UK's points-based immigration system

The government has published details on the UK’s new points-based immigration system which will take effect from 1 January 2021, once freedom of movement with the EU has ended.

To help you prepare, they have published an updated introductory guide to the system for employers. This provides an overview of the new system and explains how employers are affected. It is important to know:

  • From 1 January 2021, if you want to recruit anyone from outside the UK you must be a Home Office licensed sponsor. This includes hiring people from the EU
  • As a sponsor, you will be able to recruit skilled workers from anywhere in the world. Only people who meet the job and salary requirements will be eligible.
  • If your organisation is not already a licensed sponsor and you think you will want to sponsor eligible skilled workers from 1 January 2021, you should apply now.

They have also produced two animations to help employers understand key elements of the system.

Continue living and working in the EU

Living and working in an EU country depends on the rules in that country.

You may need to register or apply for residency. You should check that you are covered for healthcare.

You may also need to exchange your UK driving licence for a licence issued by the EU country where you live.

Check what you must do in the country where you live

Staying in the UK if you are an EU citizen

Check if you need to apply to the settlement scheme if you or your family are from the EU, or from Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Check what you need to do to stay in the UK

Employing EU citizens in the UK

Information for employers on employing EU, EEA and Swiss citizens in the UK, covering; right to work checks, the EU Settlement Scheme and the UK’s new immigration system.