new website banner
Skip to main content

Safety Warning: Hand sanitiser fire injury

Published on: 13 May 2020

hand sanitiser

A workplace accident occurred last week, an individual cleaned their hands with an alcohol gel-based sanitiser, in line with Government guidelines, and then touched a metal surface. Due to a build-up of static electricity the alcohol in the gel ignited causing first and second degree burns.

The ignition may have also occurred when touching a light switch, so hand tools or welding and grinding equipment which spark could cause a similar reaction.

It is essential that anyone using hand sanitiser waits for a few minutes before engaging in any activity on the workshop floor, so the alcohol has time to evaporate, or alternatively, wear gloves.

However unlikely it is to occur, the preventative measures need to be put in place and factored into day-to-day operations and safety procedures. For more detail click here.