Visit Brexit microsite
Skip to main content

Government publishes new UK marking (UKCA) in case of a ‘no deal’ Brexit

Published on: 07 February 2019


In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the new marking may be applied to certain products, such as recreational craft and machinery, sold in the UK, replacing the CE marking.

In most cases manufacturers will not need to use the UK marking immediately. In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, for a period of time manufacturers will be able to continue to use the CE marking when placing their products on the UK market (if their product meets the relevant EU requirements). This would include products that have had any necessary third-party assessment carried out by an EU-recognised body. The Government would consult businesses before taking a decision on when this period would end.

Products being exported to the EU which currently require the CE marking will need to carry the CE marking to demonstrate compliance with the relevant EU regulatory requirements.

All members that currently certify their products should read the new guidance released by the Government and available here.

Members that certify their products to the Marine Equipment Directive (MED), should await further guidance on the replacement MED mark that will be released soon by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

British Marine members with queries on the UKCA mark can contact the Technical team on